Prior to cutting down your first tree, make sure you have all the required tools in hand. The list below is a compilation of the basic tools needed for felling a tree.
• Chainsaw – A chainsaw filled with oil and functioning with a strong chain.
• Protective Wear – Protective clothing like Kevlar’s leg covering, steel-toe boots, a hard hat, protective eye wear and gloves are good protective gear to wear when felling trees.
• First Aid Kit – Always be prepared with an updated kit should an accident occur.
Cutting a tree’s roots should be avoided only if there is a real need to do so. Some circumstances that may warrant cutting a tree’s roots are:
• When a tree outgrows its landscape.
• When a tree’s growth is getting too close to your house (posing a potential hazard).
Some trees become damaged when cutting their roots, so the best solution may be to remove the whole tree. You can find guidelines on how to remove a tree in our article on tree removal.